Friday, September 17, 2004

TVB series : Endings

TVB is Hong Kong largest television series production company. It has produced lots of TV series that has captured chinese audiences around the world. I am one of them.

BUT....
some of their series endings are rather forgotten than memorable. Why am I saying that? Well, let me tell you why.

In the series "Square Pegs (戇夫成龍)", it was a great series that was spoiled by the ending. If the ending was anything else, I don't mind, but it was downright weird to end it without leaving any clue to the viewers. I know I was clueless at the end. Maybe some people might argue it is a good ending. I highly disagree. I think people should watch the series, but don't watch the ending as it might spoil the overall "feel" toward the series.

While in the latest TVB series "To Catch the Uncatchable (棟篤神探)", this was suppose to be a comedy series with some serious detective work, but most of the time, it is very humour and very funny. True to TVB's notorious reputation of screwing up in the ending, the last episode I rather forget than remember it. It was downright tragic at the end. Imagine that. A comedy series from the start ending in tragic circumtances. When I was watching the last episode, I was shocked beyond words. I can't imagine how tragic the ending is. I wanted to cry but just can't. It was too shocking for me to even accept that as the ending. It took me quite a while to get back to my senses.

People might believe that there is nothing wrong with the ending, but as a writer myself, I believe it is very much downright freaking wrong. Think about it. The series was funny and full of comedy(most of the time) from start till almost the end. Ending it tragically, does that mean this is not a comedy series but a tragic series? or the other way around? If you want a tragic series, start it tragically and end it tragically. I have no complains about that. Just like the series "Blade Heart (血薦軒轅)". Blade Heart is a very tragic series from the start to the end. Although I didn't finish watching it, I commended it for being true to the storyline. Ending it tragically is as good as ending it non-tragically. Probably that doesn't make any sense to anyone, but think about it. A tragic start then a tragic end is better than a comedic start then a tragic end.

However, some of the TVB series have some good endings. Series like Triumph In the Skies(衝上云霄) and "The White Flame (紅衣手記) have suitable endings to suit the storyline. Some people might argue that not all ending must be good. Not everything will turn out right in the end. I will agree with them. But they also must remember that the TV is for entertainment purpose. People watch TV to relax and calm the mind. If everything must be "more real life", then I suggest watching the NEWS. Any NEWS nowadays are full of tragic deaths and destruction. Is that tragic enough? If not, go find some 9/11 footage and watch it. Then tell if that is tragic enough?

As for me, I watch tv because I want to get entertained. If I want to watch tragicness, I will turn on the NEWS, and the "real-life" violents is much more real and heart breaking. Why do people need to watch more tragic on TV? Haven't they seen enough in the NEWS? Tell me?